Friday, November 13, 2009

TASHA 01/25/97-11/12/09.


Wednesday, we experienced a huge loss. It was necessary to put Tasha to sleep.

While I knew she was getting older, I had been trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. Well, no matter how much you think you can prepare yourself – it’s never enough.

Tasha had been having problems with her spleen. It was enlarged and she was taking antibiotics. Wednesday night, PJ came home and noticed she was having trouble getting up off of the floor to go outside, she went outside and collapsed in the backyard.

We took her to the Emergency Vet Clinic and she most likely ruptured her spleen. They could have done surgery, which was no guarantee and she is almost 13 years old. So, we made the decision. We were right there, all the way through.

Out of this, I’m glad we found her and were able to say goodbye while she was still with us. If I woke up the next morning, I don’t know if I could have handled that.

She was a constant for me, and for PJ too. I know she had an impact on our friends as well. For almost 13 years she was always there, always happy, and a source of happiness for me.

When we came home, there was no dog looking out of the window as we pulled into the driveway. I keep looking over by the front door – where she always laid and she’s not there. I look over to where her food and water bowls were; and the space just looks so empty.

I went through all of the pictures and put every picture I have of her into an album. Looking through it was very hard. There were pictures when I first brought her home as a little puppy, to her laying on the couch/bed/wherever, and outside in the backyard. Very hard to look at.

The shock part is over, I think. Now comes the reality – and it sucks.

If PJ hadn’t been here for me this week, I don’t know what I would do.

They say that time heals all wounds, how long can it take to heal someone who has been with you for that long? How can I fill this void in my heart? We’re going to miss her terribly!
She'll always be my special girl!!









No comments: